(Friday’s post was not my own—this one IS)….
It’s December 30th….the time of year where Christmas decorations are put away, new toys are already a thing of the past, and the New Year is on our minds….in 2 days, it will be 2013! Tomorrow night the world will make New Year’s Resolutions, soon to be forgotten as… life happens.
- Life happens and the weight gets put back on.
- Life happens and the idea of spending less is put aside as the credit card bill comes once again.
- Life happens and the organizational tips and ideas found on Pinterest are “pinned” but will never actually be used
- Life happens and the idea of a better marriage is kept behind closed doors, as those doors are slammed in anger and frustration….again
At the beginning of December, the University of Scranton did a study and posted it in their Journal of Clinical Psychology…..here are the top 10 resolutions that will be made in 2013:
- Lose Weight
- Get Organized
- Spend less, Save more
- Enjoy life to the fullest
- Stay fit and healthy
- Learn something exciting
- Quit smoking
- Help others
- Fall in love
- Spend more time with family
Every New Year’s Eve millions of Americans make New Year’s resolutions. Whether the resolution is to get out of debt, to spend more time with loved ones, or to quit smoking, these resolutions have one thing in common: they are goals to make our lives better.
Unfortunately, to many the idea of making a resolution is accompanied by “rolling eyes” or a “cynical chuckle” as, notoriously, these goals are never met because, well, as I said, life happens.
Consider what we do when we make a New Year’s resolution: we look at where we are in some area of life, think about where we want to be, and then set ourselves a goal to get there.
So, on paper, it seems so easy….set a goal and achieve it! But, I’m afraid we’re missing something in the middle. Like, how to achieve the goal we have set.
We have set a goal, but we have no idea the steps to take to get there…..
Well, let me give you an idea or “steps” on how to achieve at least ONE New Year’s resolution that I think at least a few people will probably have…..
To Attend Church More in 2013
The #1.) thing you have to do to achieve this goal is……GO!!
Go to church. You’ll never achieve your goal of getting more involved in church, if you don’t GO!!
#2.) Realize that it’s not all about you…..
- Someone makes you upset, talk to them about it!
- Someone says something and you take it out of context, find the original source and get to the bottom of the story!
- Someone doesn’t say “hi” to you in the hall…..get over it!
- Someone doesn’t call you when you miss a Sunday, let them know you’re going to be gone!! They don’t know anything is wrong, unless you tell them!
- If you want to “feel included,” get yourself involved!
- If you don’t like something, TALK to someone about it.
- If you don’t think something was biblically-based in the sermon, TALK to the preacher about it (don’t belittle him–just ask to talk about it; I’m sure he’d be fine with that)!
- If a leader in your church hurts your feelings or makes you upset about something, TALK to them about it!
(Are you sensing a theme here)!?
#4.) Be excited about going….
Get your kids excited about wanting to GO TO church! If you are not committed to church, your kids will not be either!
#5.) Live with God’s people…..get involved in one another’s lives.
- Go out to eat with people out of church
- Take a meal to someone who works full-time
- Write someone a note (you know, snail mail)!!!
- Notice when people aren’t at church, and then…..let them know you missed them
- Offer to run an errand for the elderly or babysit for a single mom
(Again, it’s not ALL ABOUT YOU)!! It’s about God’s people and living your life to serve others.
#6.) Pray for those who are a part of your church.
(AND DO IT)!!! Don’t just SAY you’re going to pray….actually pray!!
#7.) Besides #1, #7 is just as important. Forgive others.
Remember Christians are not perfect. We are all sinners and we live in a fallen world. Please extend a little grace and a little mercy to those who are serving in the church. The church leaders are not perfect. They fall. They make mistakes. Love them anyway.
So, I understand: Life happens.
But, because life happens…..church should be a place for freedom, reconciliation, peace, love, forgiveness, and grace.
Make it a priority in 2013—to come to the place where life happens and hopefully love abounds.